Do I need a Yukon Government (YG) hunting license?

You are required to obtain a free YG Hunting License and tags if you are hunting:

  • For a purpose other than subsistence
  • Outside the Teslin Tlingit Council Traditional Territory without permission from the local First Nation
  • In areas where conservation measures are in place that restrict all hunting, e.g.: permit hunts

If you are hunting with a YG license, remember to follow the Yukon Hunting Regulations, including seasons, ages and sex restrictions, reporting requirements and area closures.

Do I need a YG permit for roadkill?

No. ‘Found wildlife’ falls within your subsistence right to harvest; as such a permit is not legally required. Salvaging found wildlife for edible portions, hides and fur, and bait, are all valuable ways Citizens can help reduce the need for harvest within the Traditional Territory. However, Citizens are asked to report any found wildlife to the Teslin Tlingit Council Fish and Wildlife Officer or the YG Conservation Officer.

It is important to report found wildlife for the following reasons:

  • If you can’t salvage it, we can make sure it doesn’t go to waste.
  • We are trying hard to reduce roadkill occurrences, and knowing how many animals are hit each year is important feedback.
  • Knowing details such as age and sex helps us assess the impact of roadkill mortality on the population.

When you report to Environment Yukon, you will receive a free permit if you wish to export the animal or parts outside the territory.

Do I need a YG grizzly tag?

YG keeps records on harvested grizzlies to help keep them informed on the population. If you shoot a bear for subsistence (ie: you eat the meat), you do not need a tag or a YG license. YG appreciates information on all bears harvested, and we encourage reporting to either YG or Teslin Tlingit Council; be clear that this was a subsistence harvest.

If you shoot a bear for the hide, this is not a subsistence harvest. You need a license and tag before you hunt, and to report to YTG as per the YTG Hunting Regulations.

Do I need a YG permit for bison, deer or elk?

Bison: Yes. Bison hunts require a free permit from Environment Yukon. The season depends on the area; for example the Alaska Highway Corridor from Whitehorse to the Slims River Bridge in Kluane is open from Sept 1 to March 31. See the Environment Yukon website for details.

Deer: No. You do not need a permit. You may harvest deer in the Teslin Tlingit Traditional Territory as part of your subsistence right. Make sure you have your Teslin Tlingit Council Wildlife Harvest Permit, and report your harvest to Teslin Tlingit Council. If you wish to harvest a deer outside of the Traditional Territory, you need a YTG license or written permission from the local First Nation.

Elk: Yes. You need a permit. Visit the Environment Yukon website for details, as there are many areas zoned for different seasons and requirements.

Why do Teslin Tlingit Council citizens need a wildlife harvest permit?

For several reasons: Firstly, a Wildlife Harvest Permit identifies you as a Teslin Tlingit Council member to any agent of any government and ensures that your rights are being respected. It is required by the Teslin Tlingit Council Fish and Wildlife Act (PDF) and helps TTC monitor activity on the land. The Department of Lands and Resources has a responsibility to future generations to ensure healthy wildlife populations. We need to know what Citizens are harvesting in order to make good management decisions.

Why report my harvest?

In the future, we may see a need to limit the harvest by all hunters on a certain population. In order to make sure Teslin Tlingit Council Citizens can meet their needs, we need to know how many animals we take. This will allow us to work with other governments so that they can let other hunters (e.g.: non-native hunters) know how many animals, if any, are available to them.

Land Management Permits

Why would I need a permit to do something on settlement land?

Teslin Tlingit Council has a responsibility to safeguard the land for its own sake, for the sake of Teslin Tlingit Council Citizens now living, and for the future generations. Permits tell us what is happening, when it is happening, and let Teslin Tlingit Council say “no” to activities that are dangerous to the land.

How long does it take to get a permit?

A permit can be processed in a matter of hours, but you should allow 14 days.

What type of things need a permit?

Please see our pamphlet, Land Use and Development Permits (PDF), for more information on this subject. Depending on whether the applicant is a Teslin Tlingit Council Citizen or not, many activities may require a permit:

  • Clearing trees and brush
  • Drilling boreholes for a scientific study
  • Living in a wall tent for a long period of time
  • Cutting a trail
  • Hosting a training course
  • Grazing livestock
  • Building a cabin
  • Surveying
  • Installing utilities

Who needs permits for activities on settlement lands?

  • Teslin Tlingit Council Departments
  • Teslin Tlingit Council Citizens
  • Yukon Government departments
  • Businesses owned by Citizens or non-Citizens
  • Corporations
  • The general public

Land Tenure

Why do I need an allocation or lease on settlement land?

Teslin Tlingit Council uses leases and allocations to keep track of who has land. As well, these agreements make clear what rights people have, as well as what responsibilities.

What benefits do I get from a lease or allocation?

There are a number of important benefits of having a lease or allocation:

  • You will have a written record of your interest in the land.
  • You are able to pass the land on to your relatives.
  • Your interest in the land means other people will not be able to use that piece of land without your permission.
  • With a lease, you could apply for a mortgage.
  • You can invest in buildings and improvements on the land with the knowledge that Teslin Tlingit Council will defend your right to use the land.

Why can't I buy settlement land?

The Teslin Tlingit Council Final Agreement includes a statement that makes the selling of Settlement Land a very serious decision. If Settlement Land were sold, Teslin Tlingit Council would lose its Aboriginal Title to that land for all time. To avoid this, Settlement Land will not be sold. This is also written into the SLRA.

How do I know where the land is that I selected during the land claim process?

Teslin Tlingit Council has a record of land selections that took place during the land claim negotiation process. Please come to the Department of Lands and Resources to discuss your land claim selection.

How can I get a piece of land to build a house?

Teslin Tlingit Council is currently planning a subdivision at the Sawmill Road, as well as at the area known as Airport West. In the coming years, these subdivisions will offer suitable locations for residential development. Please come to the Lands and Resources Department for more information.

How can I get a piece of land to camp on?

Teslin Tlingit Council Citizens can make use of the Traditional Territory for all kinds of traditional activities, including camping and building temporary camps, without a permit or any approval from Teslin Tlingit Council or the Yukon Government. For more information, please contact the Lands and Resources Department.

How are decisions regarding land made?

The Lands and Environmental Officer will present any issue regarding land to the Director, as well as the Land Management Committee (currently the Executive Council). Together, these bodies use the Land Management Policy to guide them to consider all sides of an issue, and ultimately make a decision in the best interests of Teslin Tlingit Council and Teslin Tlingit Council Citizens.

Latest News

  1. GC kit avalable for download Rick Scramstad 22-Jan-2019
  2. News release Rick Scramstad 14-Jun-2018
  3. Government of Yukon and Teslin Tlingit Council sign intergovernmental agreement Rick Scramstad 12-Jan-2018

+ Read All Our News Items

Upcoming Meetings

+ View Our Calendar