Village of Teslin
The Village of Teslin is set on the confluence of Nisutlin Bay and Teslin Lake, located 183 kilometres east of Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway. The name Teslin is derived from the Inland Tlingit word tás ten, or "long sewing sinew”, which refers to the 148 kilometre long and narrow Teslin Lake flowing from British Columbia into southeast Yukon.
Teslin is located within Teslin Tlingit Traditional Territory and was a meeting place for Inland Tlingit people in the summer months. With the construction of the Alaska Highway in 1942, Teslin became a permanent settlement. Today, Teslin is an incorporated municipality within Yukon Territory and houses the majority of Teslin Tlingit Council’s government offices. For information about the current population and facilities of Teslin, visit the Village of Teslin website.